Yeah, I am talking about the Davis Cup on Sunday. I was totally pumped to see some good tennis. In fact, I didn’t go out the night before because I knew I had to get up at 10am. I guess I should have known something was wrong when they handed out Thunder Sticks at the door. You know, those long tubes you blow up and bang together to make a lot of noise? At a tennis match. And that set the tone for the whole match. Granted, I knew watching Russia vs. the US in Russia, the crowd would be biased. But this crowd was out of control. All Andy Roddick had to do was fault on a serve- not even double fault- and the crowd would go wild. He shared a few words with the chair ump, but I’m surprised he didn’t just give up and walk out. Tennis matches are supposed to be reserved and polite- this really was more like a football match. All the noise gave me a headache.
As far as the playing went, it was disappointing. It was Andy Roddick vs. Dmitri Tursunov on clay. On any other surface, Roddick would have smoked Tursunov, but apparently Roddick really sucks on clay. It’s just too slow for him- Tursunov even had more aces than he did. (Tennis fans, let that one sink in). So Roddick dropped the first two sets, but he took the third and fourth sets. So we came to the fifth set. Apparently the Davis Cup doesn’t do the whole tiebreak concept. Which is very bad when players hold their serve. Roddick and Tursunov held serve through 31 games. Thirty-one games. Then in the 32nd, Tursunov broke Roddick and finally ended the whole thing. By the end I didn’t even care who won, because the entire match lasted 5 hours. Just watching them made me tired. In fact, we didn’t stick around for the second match, which was James Blake vs. Marat Safin, I think.

1 comment:
When you say football, are you referring to soccer or Gaelic football? Football in the USA usually lasts at least 3 hours.
Jeff is most likely envious of your good fortune to see the Davis Cup. At the Tennis Masters here next August, you can boast that YOU were there to Phil, Gail, Neil, Dustin etc. WOW
Better yet, when you visit the players lounge next summer, you can mention to Roddick and Tursunov YOURSELF that you saw them them play when you were in Moscow. Won't that be awesome!
Love you,
Mom
Post a Comment