Thursday, September 21, 2006

McSplurge

Well, the sting of homesickness was tempered yesterday by a very productive day on my part.

This weekend the Davis Cup semifinals are taking place in Moscow- Russia vs. USA, and although I planned on going, I still had to buy tickets. So I decided to go buy tickets, and I took Megan with me because she likes tennis too (even though she calls Andy Roddick “Andy Rodderick”). I had only a “vague” idea of where the Olympic Stadium was located, but I wasn’t really worried about finding it once we got off the metro- how can you miss a whole stadium?! Well, it wasn’t so easy, and I had to ask a few people before I finally found the ticket office. And luckily there was a very helpful woman in line who spoke some English and helped us out a bit. But we bought 2 tickets to the Sunday session!!!! We could have gone for the 100 or 200 ruble tickets, but we decided to go wild and buy 600 ruble tickets. That’s about $23, which is a bit of a splurge for me. Now I just have to figure out who I am going to root for- Marat or Andy?

Then came the second splurge and the second success- McDonalds! McDonalds is pretty straightforward in Russia- a Big Mac is a Биг Мак and Chicken McNuggets are Чикен МакНуггетс- phonetically, they’re the same. But the first time we went, they couldn’t understand our English/ Russian accents and they pulled out these little picture cards and I just pointed to what I wanted. It was pretty humiliating and I felt like such an American. Fast forward to today: I ordered in Russian, and they didn’t pull out the picture cards! I was very proud of myself. To tell the truth, I wasn’t planning on ordering anything but a Coke, but I decided to give it another go and I was superbly rewarded. Unfortunately, that bit of pride cost me 125 rubles, or about $5. But McDonalds in Russia really is better than in America.

Also, Meghan and I went to the rinok again today (that’s the market outside our Metro stop) to get some cookies. I swear, my sugar consumption has gone through the roof since I got here. Actually I am eating a lot of fruit too, because it’s cheap and you don’t have to wait a week for it to ripen. Anyway, we went to this one fruit stall that I go to often, and the woman was really friendly. She came off her perch and showed us where the ripe fruits were, and then started a little conversation with us. I’m getting really good at small talk in Russian- everyone asks where I’m from, what languages do I speak, why am I here, how long have I studied Russian, where am I living. The rinok is the easiest way to practice Russian, because you’re forced to speak it at some point.

Also, thanks to everybody who has left comments and sent me e-mails. I appreciate every word you guys write, so please keep writing me. I know I am awful at replying quickly, but I’m trying!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was the sweet sound of my voice that chased away those homesickness gremlins,now I find out it was a Chicken McNugget-silly me.

Thank goodness for Ronald McDonald! Yeah!!!

Talk to you Friday.

Love you,
Dad

Anonymous said...

That kind of read like one of those MasterCard commercials:

"Tickets to see Andy Roddick: 600 rubles, about $23..." etc.


Do you pass by a lot of bakeries or pastry shops? I don't know if it's like Granada or not (probably), but I remember there being those everywhere and I'd walk by and just start drooling. Between having everything in the friggin' window and the SMELL!!! Oh the glorious smell of bread or something sugary wafting out of there...OH YUM. I could nearly stop right in my tracks and wheel in there. I think the prospect of the señora's huge meals usually dampened that one though...

Hope you're feeling better...probably from stress, eh?

hug from Cincy,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

The thought of sculpted muscles in tennis garb help the blues? Take photos, please.

Should Marat say hi, mention to him he needs to visit "Yummie Yummie Russian Deli" next summer when he plays in Cincinnati. Perhaps it would make him feel better.

Love, as they say in tennis,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Kristen,

You asked me to call between jobs today, about 3:30 our time. I did not have the internet at home this morning. I'll see what happens when I get home :(

Momma