Thursday, October 05, 2006

If you are an American college student, you will love this

I forgot to mention that along with the Russian national pastime of drinking vodka, there was another important pasttime of another country occurring at the party tonight: smoking the hookah. One of our friends, Ulmas, is from Uzbekistan, and smoking hookah is very important there. It's like the pub in Britain and Ireland: men just go hang out and smoke hookah in the evening. In Uzbekistan it would be weird to have company over and not light up a hookah or two (is that how you'd say it? I don't know these things). So Ulmas has his own hookah, and he fired it up tonight.

I don't really understand this fascination with hookah-smoking. Apparently American college students love it, judging from the number of people I know back home with their own hookah (it's gotta be expensive) and the all the people I've seen at Andy's smoking it. Tonight was no different- those American boys went crazy over smoking hookah. They even tried to get me to do it, but in my almost 21 years on this earth, the only smoking I've ever done is secondhand, so now is not the time to start. Also I have a cold festering, so inhaling more smoke and crap than I do on a daily basis here in Russia is just a really, really bad idea. In general, inhaling anything other than pure, clean air hasn't sat too well with me lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't quite understand the fascination with those things either. Everyone went nuts over them in Granada because all the teterĂ­as have them. There's something about inhaling on something that someone else has put their mouth on that doesn't sit well with me either. :)

I think they're beautiful contraptions, but I'd never smoke one.

You and me can be sick buddies now!

see ya,
Lauren